History For Coconut Marshmallow Cake
Coconut cake is typically made using either white or yellow cakes.
While some recipes do not call for coconut flavor in the cake itself, others utilize coconut milk and/or coconut extract instead of milk.
Brushing the cakes with simple syrup to make them moister is also usual.
White icing or coconut pastry cream are frequently used to fill the cake layers. Coconut cake is also made in non-traditional ways by many Southerners.
Ingredients For Coconut Marshmallow Cake
- Baking spray with flour
- 1 cup unsweetened full-fat coconut milk, shaken
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil or melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups (335 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 2/3 cups (330 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup flaked coconut, sweetened or unsweetened, toasted if desired, chopped
- 2 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes and at room temperature
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- Pinch fine salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2/3 cup marshmallow creme (1/2 a 7-ounce container)
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut, sweetened or unsweetened, toasted if desired
Instruction For Coconut Marshmallow Cake
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Using baking spray and flour, coat a 9-by-13-by-2-inch cake pan. Prepare the cake pan by lining it with parchment paper and spraying it with baking spray.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together the coconut milk, eggs, oil, and vanilla until smooth. Combine the flour, sugar, chopped coconut, baking powder, and salt in the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. To blend, mix on low for 30 seconds.
- Begin adding the cubed butter to the mixer on low and mix for 2 to 3 minutes, or until no bits of butter remain and the mixture resembles cornmeal; it should stay together when squeezed.
- Add half of the liquid ingredients to the mixer while it’s still on low and whisk to blend. Scrape the bowl and use a rubber spatula to paddle it. Increase the speed to medium and continue to beat for a total of 20 seconds. Reduce the speed to low and pour in the rest of the liquids. Mix only until everything is well blended. Scrape the basin and fold the batter with your spatula a few times.
- Pour the batter into the pan that has been prepared. Bake for 32 to 34 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with moist crumbs. Before icing, let the cake cool fully on a wire rack.
- To make the marshmallow frosting, beat the butter until creamy in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the cream cheese and beat on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until smooth. Scrape down the sides of the basin and stir in the salt, vanilla, and confectioners’ sugar on low until mixed. Scrape the bowl and paddle with a scraper. 1 to 2 minutes on medium speed, or until perfectly smooth. Mix on high speed for 1 minute after adding the marshmallow creme.
- Using a spatula, spread the icing evenly over the cooled cake. Serve with a sprinkling of flaked coconut. Any leftovers should be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days, but be sure to bring the cake back to room temperature before serving.
Nutrition Info For Coconut Marshmallow Cake