History for German Cherry Soup Recipe
A somewhat sweet soup cooked with sugar and entire fresh sour cherries, cherry soup is delicious.
This soup has its origins in Hungarian cuisine and is now a summer delicacy in many European cuisines. Austrians, Poles, Slovaks, and Germans have all adopted the dish.
The soup was brought to North America by Hungarian-Americans and Hungarian-Canadians.
Ingredients for German Cherry Soup Recipe
- 4 cups fresh, frozen, or canned red tart pitted cherries
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 to 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Dash salt
- 1 cup milk
Instructions for German Cherry Soup Recipe
- Place the cherries, water, sugar, and cinnamon in a large pot. Bring the water to a boil.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until the cherries are soft. Depending on the tartness of the cherries, adjust the sugar if necessary.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl; stir in the milk.
- Drop tsp., full of the mixture into the boiling soup.
- Cook, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the dumplings are light and fluffy.
- Serve right away.
Nutrition Info for German Cherry Soup Recipe