History for Pork And Sauerkraut Sandwich
Pork and sauerkraut didn’t begin out as a traditional New Year’s Day dish. However, it arose from the mid-winter feasts linked with the killing of the household pigs. Families would invite relatives and arrange large banquets at that time, which was generally close to Christmas.
The great pig dinner tradition just remained as domestic butchering faded in the late 1800s, whether for Christmas or New Year’s.” This custom has spread throughout the Midwest and is very popular.
This sandwich is not only a terrific way to start the New Year off well, but it will also have your family and guests chanting your praises. This is a recipe that will fill your house with wonderful aromas and draw all of us to your kitchen.
Ingredients for Pork And Sauerkraut Sandwich
- ½ teaspoon salt, divided
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups packaged cabbage-and-carrot coleslaw (about 8 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 (2-ounce) Kaiser rolls or hamburger buns
- 16 (1/8-inch-thick) slices of cucumber
Instructions for Pork And Sauerkraut Sandwich
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt, oregano, thyme, and black pepper in a small mixing bowl; sprinkle seasoning mix over meat. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, heat 1 1/2 teaspoon’s oil over medium-high heat. Cook for 2 minutes on each side or until pork is done. Remove the meat from the pan and keep it heated.
- In a medium-high-heat pan, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil. Cook 2 minutes, stirring regularly, with 1/4 teaspoon salt, coleslaw, and the following 4 ingredients (coleslaw through Worcestershire sauce). Remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix the mayonnaise and mustard together and spread it equally over the cut sides of the buns. Evenly distribute the coleslaw mixture, pork, and cucumber slices among the bottom halves of the rolls. Top with the top half of the rolls.
Nutrition Info for Pork And Sauerkraut Sandwich