History For Babka Wielkanocna Recipe
Babka, which literally translates as “grandmother” in Polish.
The word gained its name from the shape of an elderly woman’s broad, swirling skirts.
Others claim it was named after the top knot or bun worn by elderly women in Polish villages in the past.
Ingredients For Babka Wielkanocna Recipe
- 1/3 c Raisins
- 2/3 c Sugar
- 1/4 c Lukewarm water
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 15 Egg yolks
- 2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast; (2 Pkg)
- 1/2 c Chopped almonds
- 2 tsp. Salt
- Candied Orange Peels; And
- 1 c milk
- Blanched almond halves
- 3 1/2 c All-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. Almond extract
- 1/2 c Butter; melted
- 3/4 c Candied Lemon Peel; Mixed
- Bread crumbs
Instruction For Babka Wielkanocna Recipe
- Pour scalded milk into a large mixing bowl. Slowly whisk in 3/4 cup flour into the heated milk until fully combined. Cool.
- Soak yeast for 5 minutes in lukewarm water, then add one spoonful of sugar and set aside for 5 minutes. Mix well with the chilled milk mixture.
- Cover and set aside until the dough has doubled in size.
- Season egg yolks with salt. Beat until the mixture is thick and lemon-colored (about 5 minutes). Continue pounding in the remaining sugar and extracts. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and milk mixtures until fully combined. Mix in the remaining flour thoroughly.
- Knead in the basin for 10 minutes. Knead for another 10 minutes, or until dough comes away from fingers. Combine the candied peel, almonds, and raisins in a bowl. Knead to thoroughly combine the ingredients.
- Allow dough to rise until it has doubled in size. Allow rising again after punching down. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 12-inch fluted tube pan generously. Almond halves should be pressed along the sides and bottom of the pan. Bread crumbs should be used to coat the chicken.
- Knead the dough and place it in the prepared pan. The dough should be about a third of the way up the pan. Allow dough to rise for 1 hour, or until it completely fills the pan.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 350 degrees F, or until hollow when tapped on top.
Nutrition Info For Babka Wielkanocna Recipe