History for Green Chile Stuffing
Green Chile Cornbread Stuffing adds a southwestern touch to one of Thanksgiving’s most traditional side dishes.
Every juicy mouthful of this dish is infused with the powerful flavor of green chiles, which complements the turkey perfectly.
Ingredients for Green Chile Stuffing
- 2 cups finely chopped onions
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 (4 ounces) cans chopped mild green chile (including juice)
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, minced (about 1 tablespoon, to taste)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted lightly
- 1 lb homemade white bread (cut into 1/2-inch cubes, toasted, and cooled)
- 3⁄4 cup low sodium chicken broth (omit chicken broth if using to stuff a turkey)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces (omit if using to stuff a turkey)
Instructions for Green Chile Stuffing
- Cook the onion and celery in 8 ts of butter in a large skillet over medium heat until softened and light brown, turning periodically.
- Toss in the green chilies, jalapenos, chili powder, thyme, oregano, cumin, salt & pepper to taste. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add the pecans, toasted bread cubes, and salt and pepper to taste the mixture in a large mixing basin. Gently but completely combine the filling ingredients.
- If using to stuff a turkey, allow it cool completely before filling.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Place the stuffing in a buttered 3- to 4-quart casserole, pour in the liquid, and top with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter.
- Bake the stuffing for 30 minutes in the center of the oven, covered. Remove the lid and bake for another 30 minutes.
Nutrition Info for Green Chile Stuffing